"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Making a Difference"

THREE GUYS GET TO HEAVEN
  3 buddies die in a car crash, they go to heaven to an orientation.  They are all asked, "When you are in your casket and friends and family are mourning upon you, what would you like to hear them say about you?  The first guy says, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor of my time, and a great family man."  The second guy says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher which made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow."  The last guy replies, "I would like to hear them say. . . . . . LOOK, HE'S MOVING" ! ! ! ! !

Although I have had a few good laughs over the humorous story above, and must be honest with you and say that I can "wholeheartedly" agree with the last fellas sentiments... I can also say that it causes me to reflect on life and coming to the end of it.

When our son Stephen Jr. was at Tennessee Temple University several years ago - he wrote Steve and I a letter expressing his heart for young people (teens) and their struggles.  In the letter he included these verses:

"Keep yourselves in the love of God,  looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.  And of some have compassion,  making a difference:"   (Jude 1:21-22)

If our lifestyle were the only lifestyle that society could depend on to observe God's unconditional love, would they be compelled to pursue a relationship with Him?  If those who see our conduct, hear our conversation, and witness our character on a daily basis were placed on the witness stand to verify our commitment to the person and principles of the one we claim to serve, would there be enough evidence to convict us?  We must always be willing to go the extra mile for others.  It is through our generosity and love that many eventually see the face of God.

Fast forward to your funeral.  What are people going to say about you as they stand around your casket talking?  Will it be that he/she was a good person?  What I want people to say about me?  I want them to say that I made a difference in their life.


As I close my eyes to slumber
I hope that God will say
“You have made the world a better place
By the way you lived today”.

1 comment:

  1. How about now? You make a positive contribution to my life everyday, little Sis. Just thought I would say it while you can still hear (read) it. Love you

    ReplyDelete