"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Holding "THINGS" Loosely

This morning after my Bible Study... I sat pondering one particular verse that I had just read.  A question stuck in my mind that I just could not shake:  "What does it mean to "be in the world" but not be "of the world"?  I had just answered a question in my workbook that asked me to do a comparison and contrast between our prominent "functional gods / idols" (things that take precedence in our life) verses GOD.

functional god verses GOD
created  -  Creator /  death  -  Life  /  changing  -  Unchangeable  /  false  -  True  /  unpredictable  -  Faithful  /  temporal  -  Eternal

While questioning myself as to where my "treasure" is and what it lies within...  an overwhelming thought came to my mind and I had to grab a pen and scrap of paper. Lessons learned from times past... the Lord may give me something and if I don't write it down... It's GONE (must be the age).  Here is the elegy that was impressed upon my heart:

Hold THINGS loosely -
For tomorrow they may be,
Gone in a moment -
No longer to see. 

But cling to the Lord -
A stronghold He will be,
Steady and sure -
The Great "I AM" is HE!
                                             ~Sylvia  (Exodus 3:13-14)

I felt with what I had just written the Lord had led me to the answer of my own question... "What it means to be in the world but not of it" - yet in my stillness, on the heels of that inspiration came another... and I kept writing:

When the waves of this world
Are tossing you to and fro
And the whirlwinds of life
Around you doth blow
Cling to the Master
Who commands the sea
Safe in His watchcare
Forever we'll be.
                                         ~Sylvia  (Psalm 107:28-29)

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?"  (James 4:4-5) 

The Lord is jealous when we allow anything in our life to take HIS place... whether it be things, people (spouse, children, family member, friend), careers, wealth, etc.  He desires to be our "ONLY" GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment