"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Monday, January 24, 2011

"THE HOLE I KEEP FALLING IN"

This little story was from the first session of the Bible Study, "One in a Million" by Priscilla Shirer.  She quotes a lady named Portia Nelson in her own book "A Jewel in His Crown"

It goes something like this - - -

Chapter 1
"I walked down the street there is a deep hole in the sidewalk I fall in, I'm lost, I'm helpless, it's not my fault though, it takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 2
I walk down the same street there is a deep hole in the sidewalk; I pretend I don't see it; I fall in; I can't believe I am in the same place; but it's not my fault; it takes a LONG time to get out;

Chapter 3
I walk down the same street there is a deep hole in the sidewalk; I see it there I fall in; It is a habit my eyes are open I know where I am it is my fault; I get out immediately;

Chapter 4
I walk down the same street there is a deep hole in the sidewalk; I walk around it;

Chapter 5
I walk down a different street."

This narrative, although ever so simple; contained such a "life lesson."  I cannot do what I have always done and see different results.  There are many times in our lives that we just need to "walk down a different street."
  We must make a conscious decision to avoid the "pit-falls" that have trapped us in the past... and avoid getting ourselves in those situations for "old habits" and "temptations" to consume us. 

"It's so easy to let life make a habit of us and we just go along."
Quote by Goldie Pack Gwinn



"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."  (Galatians 5:1)

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem and use it with "my kids" all the time. Even created a fake pothole out of poster board and have them act it out. It's so easy to let life make a habit of us and we just go along. Good stuff little Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just made such an impact on me when I heard it! We have to make a conscious decision to avoid the "pit-falls" that have trapped us in the past... and avoid getting ourselves in those situations for "old habits" and "temptations" to consume us. So neat that you use this with "your kids"... what a simple illustration to teach such a huge life lesson!

    ReplyDelete