"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A "CONTROL FREAK" ON A TANDEM BIKE

As a child, one of the many feats that we aspire to conquer is that of “riding a bike”!  Desiring to ride without training wheels…  mastering control of balance, the direction, the speed, the destination.  As we approach those teenage years, we aspire the same control of our lives.  Desiring to “do it our way”… no training wheels or guiding influences… wanting to control the balance, the direction, the speed, and the destination!  I for one, being a “CONTROL FREAK” have tried to do this with my own life and with that of my family.  The Lord has lovingly and gradually pried my fingers one at a time cutting the apron strings of my adult children’s lives and is now taking me through the process of loosening the grip on my own life.  I will admit that at times it has been --- loosen two fingers and then grip them closed again… or the prying has been done with me “kicking and screaming” fighting all the way.

In doing the Bible Study… “Walking by Faith” by Jennifer Rothschild – I have come to realize that if I am truly going to “Walk by Faith,” I must loosen the grip on my own life and allow God full control.  (I loosen two fingers and grip them tight again and again.)  As a child, I wanted to ride that “one seated” bike… but as a CHILD OF GOD… the Lord is showing me that I shall learn to ride a “TANDEM BIKE” (a bicycle built for two.)  Thing is… as I run to hoist myself upon it --- I am tempted to quickly take the seat in front.  The front rider (The Captain) is the strongest… they control the ride… the direction… the speed… and the destination.  The Captain is the one who sees the road straight ahead and the obstacles that may lie in our path.  The second seat rider (The Stoker) follows.  Peddling in rhythm with the Captain and leaning through the curves that come our way - are the Stoker’s main duties, but above all this… the Stoker must continually communicate and TRUST the Captain completely!  Along with TRUST and communication, the Stoker also is offered the privilege of resting in the leadership abilities of the Captain.  Working together, beautiful things are accomplished and destinations are attained.  THE CAPTAIN is the LORD HIMSELF… THE STOKER is ME!

The TANDEM BIKE can also be a perfect example of how our marriages should be with THE CAPTAIN being the HUSBAND and THE STOKER being the WIFE… but we will save that for another day ;)  I must iterate here though the fact that “HAVOC CAN BE WROUGHT, FROM THE STOKER SEAT”!  In both these situations we learn that TRULY – GOD’S WAY IS ALWAYS BEST!

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Lord, help me to loosen my grip... take my place willingly and joyfully as the "STOKER" and TRUST WHOLEHEARTEDLY in you as my "CAPTAIN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment