"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Sunday, August 22, 2010

HOME IS WHERE "FAMILY" RESIDES

Renter/Landlord, Lessee/Lessor, Buyer/Seller... all of these Real Estate terms are usually just words we use or hear nonchalantly.  But on Wednesday, August 25th two of them will take on a whole new meaning for our family.  The two words:  Buyer/Seller.  Steve's parents will participate in a "closing," executing the final papers to sell their residence of over 50 years.  Over 50 years of living in Daniels, West Virginia... Over 50 years of driving down 4-H Lake Road... Over 50 years of watching the deer drink from Kauff's pond... Over 50 years of wonderful friends and neighbors.
All three of the Wolfe boys moved from the area years ago only to return for the occasional visit.  Over 50 years of memories stored in what many think:  under a roof, enclosed in walls with windows.  I would of always defended that concept until the death of my daddy (2000) and momma (2008).  At that time I realized those memories are stored in hearts.  "HOME" ceases when family is not there.  When family moves out, that dwelling goes from being "home," to being the "house that I grew up in."  

Many special occasions have been celebrated in the neatly kept Brick Ranch on Winfield Circle, but when Monday, August 30th (Moving Day) arrives, "HOME" for the Wolfe Family will then move to Warner Robins, Georgia.  Because, you see... "HOME" will always be where Dad & Mom Wolfe are.  It has nothing to do with a structure.  "HOME" is where ever "FAMILY" resides.

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."  (John 14:2-3)

3 comments:

  1. So does that mean your home is in Thailand? You should visit more often then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...just saying the word HOME creates an almost instantaneous warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of one's stomach. It has come to mean so many different things; from the State one is from to the website one has created on the internet. Emily gave her own description yesterday; she said she loved being able to wake up at night and find her way to the bathroom without turning on the light because she knows the house so well. I will always remember that, not only because it means she is so familiar with the house, but because it also spoke volumes about her sense of safety and security. It made me think of all the children out there that do not feel safe and secure in their homes due to abuse, drugs, alcohol, mental illness, etc. A good time to say a prayer or two for those who feel no sense of 'home' with anyone, any place, at any time...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sylvia, this breaks and touches my heart, what truth and what special heartfelt memories you will have. Whenever I drive by our old home where we grew up I have to shed a few tears, I love that song or Miranda Lambert
    The house that built me oh my gosh what truth and sometimes we need to just touch and feel it one more time. Hope Mr and Mrs Wolfe enjoy their new home. Tell them hello from the Dykes girl. Barbara

    ReplyDelete