"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Friends with Skin"

(Proverbs 17:17a)  "A friend loveth at all times,..."
(Proverbs 18:24b)  "... and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

The storm clouds begin to roll in - the night sky blackens - thunder commences to rumble in the distance - flashes of lightning brighten the tiny dark room.  Little Susie had just been prayed with and tucked into the plush pink covers of her white French Provincial canopied bed.  As the storm outside escalates so does Susie's fear.  She calls out to her parents in the night.  They come to comfort and console her.  They assure her that she has no need to be afraid because God is always with her.  After repeating this same scenario another time, Susie's tearful response to her mother is this:  "It is good to know that God is here with me, but this one time ple-e-e-ease, I want and ne-e-e-ed a 'friend with skin' on."

Friends play such an important role in my life, and I consider each of them as personal blessings from God.  I have "fair-weather friends" that are there to make brighter my sunny days.  Oh, but then I am most blessed with a few "storm-chaser buddies" that are there when the clouds roll in - the sky blackens - thunder clashes - lightning flashes - and my ship begins to sink.  I am ever mindful and thankful of the fact that God is always with me as a "constant friend" - however, I am humbly filled with gratitude for my special "friends with skin."

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
by:  Joseph Scriven "What a Friend we have in Jesus" Lyrics

But when I feel my ship is sinking,
And life's turbulent seas are crashing in.
That's the times when I'm most thankful,
For the Blessing of "friends with skin."
by:  Sylvia Wolfe.... Heart Lyrics :-)

"Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth : but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."  (John 15:15)

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia, no matter what the friends we have here on earth, at sometime they may let us down even if they don't mean to. But we will always have a friend that is with us, change that, he will always carry us when we can't go on.

    ReplyDelete