"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"WHEN I AM OLD"

God has placed some amazing women in my life.  Although I am only 52... I have several friends who are beyond the age of 70.  A few months back, one of these special friends had to have hip replacement surgery.  She was in a rehab facility nearly an hour away.  This dear lady is 81 (a widowed Pastor's Wife) and just full of spunk and spirit... determination like you would not believe.  Weekly, me and two other friends visited as she progressed.  At home now and continuing her physical therapy... I still try to visit with her as I have for months.  The other day, this was our conversation:

Friend:     Hello
Sylvia:      Hi Mrs. Bobbie - this is Sylvia.  Sorry I haven't gotten to see you this week but I'm free tomorrow and was wondering if you were going to be at home and wanted some company?
Friend:     Yes, I'll be here - I have no plans.
Sylvia:      OK, would morning or afternoon be better? 
Friend:     Well, I was thinking about lunch out.
Sylvia:      That sounds wonderful, if you think that you are up to an outing.  Did you have some particular place in mind?
Friend:     I want to go to that "Texas Saloon" place.  They make a good salad.
Sylvia:      (holding back a burst of laughter)  Do you mean the Texas Steakhouse?
Friend:     I don't know... I just know I thought that it was called the "Texas Saloon."
Sylvia:      Mrs. Bobbie... If you want to go to the "Texas Saloon" I'll for sure take you there!  Be at your house around 11:15 tomorrow.  Love you, Good-bye.

When I hung up the phone, I couldn't hold back the laughter.  This dear lady has a dry wit about her and is such a joy to my heart.  I read the book "When I Am Old - I Shall Wear Purple" and loved it - but I must say:   
When I am old... I will drink prune juice from a stemmed crystal goblet... wear knee highs with my dresses so pantyhose won't pinch my belly... walk barefoot in the rain... wear gaudy jewelry... comfy shoes... elastic waistlines... bold lipstick... expensive perfume even if I'm not going anywhere... dance when there is no music... laugh loudly... sleep in satin nighties - and keep them on until noon if I wish... carry real hankies... be more concerned about people and less about cobwebs and dust... I'll eat chocolate and not feel guilty... forget about calorie counting lists... give tons of hugs and kisses to my friends and family... say I love you often... and eat salad at a "Texas Saloon!"  Some who know me, may say I've already begun... LOL!

I also desire to have:  a zeal and craving for the Word of God like Mrs. Alice (72), to be an intercessory prayer warrior like Sister Mitchell (89), and possess a dry wit and joy of the Lord like Mrs. Bobbie (81).



"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."  (Titus 2:3-5) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment