"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Monday, September 13, 2010

"Sometimes I Hear Voices"

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.  (Psalm 139:14)

It seems that early in my life I became clutched in the emotional trap of "people pleasing" and always "worrying about what other people think."  Many get caught in this same trap - some escape it quickly unscathed... others of us (ME) seem to have to "chew off our leg"... for release.

Maybe we have experienced some type of abuse, criticism, or rejection from an oblivious, insensitive person at a vulnerable stage in our lives.  This causing us to become our own worst critique.  Why do we buy into such a cheapened version of ourselves, hook, line, and sinker?

I hear voices that say "I am not acceptable" because of how I look or how much I weigh.  I hear voices that say "I am not valuable" because of talents and skills that I lack, or things I have or have not done.  I hear voices that say "I am not lovable"simply because of who I am not.  I hear voices that say "I am not enough" or I'll never measure up.  

Who gives anyone else the power to be our "label gods?"  WE DO!  We are the one who gives into the temptation to sell ourselves short, shut down on the inside, and settle for the crumbs under the table.

God in His word tells us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  Why can't we just as easily accept the fact that... JUST AS WE ARE:  we are lovable - valuable - and acceptable to God and that is what matters.  We must let the voice that we hear loudest be, that still small voice (1 Kings 19:12) of our Heavenly Father telling us:
  • "I have loved thee with an everlasting love;" (Jeremiah 31:3)  
  • THEREFORE I AM LOVABLE!
  • "... chosen of God and precious." (1 Peter 2:4)  
  • THEREFORE I AM VALUABLE!
  • "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1:6)  
  • THEREFORE I AM ACCEPTABLE!
"And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:" (Colossians 2:10)
THEREIN I AM MADE COMPLETE... AND THAT IS ENOUGH!

3 comments:

  1. Now that is some good preachin' sister!! You are all of the above and more...you are one of my heroes and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syvia, It seems we always try to please the wrong people and never try to please the one that will take us as we are. More time in the Bible and Prayer will help us see the way he sees us.

    ReplyDelete