"THEN SAID THE LORD TO HIM, PUT OFF THY SHOES FROM THY FEET:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground."
Acts 7:33 KJV

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The House that Built "Steve"

Sylvia's Reflections from Monday, August 29th

The large moving truck is loaded with all the familiar items.  The rooms are now empty except for a few things that remain for the next occupant of this dwelling.  For more than 50 years my husband Steve has called this "Home."  From the age of one, until he left for college this is where he grew from "boy to man".

Steve and I walk from room to room for a final check.  As we enter the bedroom on the left, at the end of the hall, I see a quick sigh on his face.  This was "his room" - the room he grew up in.  The antiqued green dresser that matched the twin beds he and Edwin slept in remained.  An almost empty room to the naked eye, but viewed with the heart - full of memories:  brother tussles, learning moments, boyhood dreams. 

Up the hall into the living room it's as though you can see three young boys wrestling in the open area and then hear a shrill yelp as the first to receive the prick of the hatpin, untangles himself and bounds from the pile.  Then my mind shifts to a room ornamented with "Think Pink" signs - decorated by a mom of 3 boys, excited at the thought of the possibility of a first grandchild being a prissy little girl.

Those thoughts are then interrupted when out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of the wood-grained table and tan leather chairs still ever present.  I envision it:  Extension in - red tablecloth adorned, place settings of sparkling Fostoria, surrounded by family and laughter.

I place my hand on the wood front door and utter a soft "good-bye."

As we get into our truck (packed full of memorabilia) and begin to drive away... I look back once again and remember:  croquet games on the side lot, apple butter makins with all sitting around waiting on their turn to stir the contents of the big copper kettle over the open fire, Stephen Jr's first fish caught in Kauff's pond.

I smile, touch Steve's shoulder, and ask if he's OK.  I see him glance in the rear-view mirror one more time - smile - and say yes.  Leaving the "House that Built Steve" behind... We begin our journey "HOME."

No comments:

Post a Comment